Heywood grabs sixth Sportsman Modified triumph, Turner bests Rabtoy in Renegades
PLATTSBURGH, N.Y. – Robin Wood felt right at home on Saturday night at Airborne Park Speedway.
The hometown driver led a charge of Quebec invaders for a special two-segment event as part of a Triple Crown series and swept both races to post the perfect score.
Wood started on the pole position by virtue of his heat race win and ran away to the win in the first 20-lap segment. Wood would then charge back through the field after an inversion forced him to start last to claim the win in the second segment.
Mascouche, Que. Driver Martin Fauteux finished second overall with six points with Joe Mayer of Blainville, Que. third overall, besting a three-way tie by virtue of his runner-up finish in the second segment. Remi Perrault of Joliette, Que. and Benoit Juteau of St-Jerome, Que. completed the top-five finishers.
Nick Heywood drove to his sixth Ernie’s Discount Tools Sportsman Modified win in their 35-lap feature.
The Plattsburgh, N.Y. driver worked past leader Chris Cayea on lap 13 to take control of the top spot.
Cayea, of Mooers, N.Y., held off a stiff challenge from Plattsburgh, N.Y.’s Bucko Branham to finish second while Branham settled for third. Sophomore driver Danny Sullivan or Morrisonville, N.Y. finished fourth with Jake Branham fifth.
Timex Morgan, Codie Aubin, Jamy Begor, Chris Sousie, and Jamie LaFountain completed the top-ten finishers.
Richie Turner grabbed his second Jeffords Steel Renegade win of the season in a fierce 25-lap event.
The Fairfax driver battled with Dylan Rabtoy and Tylor Terry for the top spot – and then just Rabtoy – until Rabtoy broke free. Turner, however, benefitted from late race restarts to grab the top spot and the win.
Rabtoy, of Swanton, Vt., finished second with Robert Gordon of Milton, Vt. third. Terry, of Morrisonville, N.Y. and Jason McClatchie of Plattsburgh, N.Y. finished fourth and fifth with Shawn Duquette, Zach Daniels, Michael Wright, Jared Blake, and Zach Rabtoy sixth through tenth.
Dale O’Neil of Mooers, N.Y. claimed the win in the two-segment Busch Beer Mini-Modified event for his eighth win of the season.
Tim LaFountain and Josh LaPorte finished second and third with Ed Bresette and Tyler Irwin fourth and fifth.
Airborne races on Saturday, August 6 at 7:00pm.
UNOFFICIAL RESULTS – Espos Diesel/Aarons Canadian Invasion
NASCAR Whelen All-American Series
Airborne Park Speedway, Plattsburgh, N.Y.
Saturday, July 30, 2016
Ernie’s Discount Tools Sportsman Modifieds (35 laps)
1. Nick Heywood, Plattsburgh, N.Y.
2. Chris Cayea, Mooers, N.Y.
3. Bucko Branham, Plattsburgh, N.Y.
4. Danny Sullivan, Morrisonville, N.Y.
5. Jake Branham, Plattsburgh, N.Y.
6. Timex Morgan, Plattsburgh, N.Y.
7. Codie Aubin, Plattsburgh, N.Y.
8. Jamy Begor, Mooers Forks, N.Y.
9. Chris Sousie, Plattsburgh, N.Y.
10. Jamie LaFountain, Keeseville, N.Y.
Autodrome St-Eustache Sportsman (2 x 20 laps)
1. Robin Wood, Plattsburgh, N.Y. – 2 pts
2. Martin Fauteux, Mascouche, Que. — 6 pts
3. Joe Mayer, Blainville, Que. — 9 pts
4. Remi Perrault, Joliette, Que. — 9 pts
5. Benoit Juteau, St-Jerome, Que. — 9 pts
Jeffords Steel Renegades (25 laps)
1. Richie Turner, Fairfax, Vt.
2. Dylan Rabtoy, Swanton, Vt.
3. Robert Gordon, Milton, Vt.
4. Tylor Terry, Morrisonville, N.Y.
5. Jason McClatchie, Plattsburgh, N.Y.
6. Shawn Duquette, Morrisonville, N.Y.
7. Zach Daniels, Plattsburgh, N.Y.
8. Michael Wright, Alburgh, Vt.
9. Jared Blake, North Hero, Vt.
10. Zach Rabtoy, Fairfax, VT.
Busch Beer Mini-Modifieds (2 x 10 laps)
1. Dale O’Neil, Mooers, N.Y.
2. Tim LaFountain, Keeseville, N.Y.
3. Josh LaPorte, Peru, N.Y.
4. Ed Bresette, Plattsburgh, N.Y.
5. Tyler Irwin, Peru, N.Y.
PHOTO: Robin Wood (#61) races with Joe Mayer on Saturday night at Airborne Park Speedway en route to the win in the Sportsman win. (Dave Brown photo)