Hull earns second SCoNE win of season; O’Hearn holds off Avery for Modified win
–by T.J. Ingerson (@TJIngerson)
WENTWORTH, N.H. – Tyler Austin earned his first career Sprint Cars of New England win on Friday night at Legion Speedway.
The West Fairlee, Vt. driver zoomed into the lead on the tenth lap of the 25-lap regular feature event for the win.
Austin started the event in the third and quickly moved into the second spot. From there, he would chase teammate Chris Clark until Clark lifted in turn three for an apparent errant caution light. Austin would hold onto the lead through a pair of late race restarts to secure his first win.
Matt Hoyt of Campton, N.H. also put together a career best finish in the runner-up spot while Kevin Chaffee of Bradford, Vt. posted his second podium finish of the night with a third place finish. Will Hull of Plainfield, Vt. finished fourth while Chris Donnelly rebounded from an early race incident to complete the top-five finishers.
Richie Simmons, Lacey Hanson, Jake Williams, Dan Douville, and Christine Boesch finished sixth through tenth, respectively.
The second feature event was red flagged on lap 15 for a wild flip by Clark into turn one. Clark would make contact with the right-rear tire of Luke Greenwood’s car and flip with the rook making contact with the turn one wall. Clark climbed from his car without assistance and was checked by medical personnel at the track.
In the first Sprint Cars of New England feature of the night that was a makeup event for the May 6 rainout, Will Hull took the lead early in that 25-lap feature to secure his second feature win of the season.
Hull was forced to hold off Chaffee in the late stages of that race as Chaffee put pressure on the lead car. Chaffee settled for second while Greenwood, of Hudson, N.H., finished third. Defending champion Douville of Bridgwater, N.H. finished fourth while Hanson of Orwell, Vt. completed the to-five finishers.
Sixth through tenth went to Ryan Avery, Austin, Dennis McLeod, Hoyt, and Mike Chaffee.
Derek O’Hearn held off Avery in the 20-lap Peanut’s Auto Sportsman Modified feature to claim his third win of the season.
The Bristol, N.H. driver started on the pole position and quickly put a car length between himself and Avery. However, Avery, of Campton, N.H., closed the gap after the halfway point and stayed glued to O’Hearn’s rear bumper for the final five laps.
Jason Sanville of Grafton, N.H. finished third with Allan Hammond and Terry Williams fourth and fifth, unofficially.
J.P. Vaillancourt made quick work to gain the lead in the 20-lap Petro Mart of Enfield Super Street feature, but was then forced to hold off Tim Martin for the win.
The Plymouth, N.H. driver went sixth to second in less than five laps and then worked to the inside of Mark Brown for the lead on lap seven. Vaillancourt would hold onto the lead unchallenged until a late race restart, when White River Junction, Vt. driver Tim Martin would be paired next to Vaillancourt.
Vaillancourt would keep Martin behind him to claim the checkered flag while Dougie Boucher finished third. Matt Pike and Cassie Ottati completed the top-five finishers.
Aaron Bunker of Newport, N.H. took the lead on lap 15 of the 20-lap Enfield Garage Outlaw Mini Stock feature to secure the win. Sean Lantas finished second after he led the first two laps of the race while Chris Sweet finished third. Mike Lique and Jack Cook completed the top-five finishers.
Legion Speedway continues their O’Reilly Auto Parts Twilight Racing Challenge season on Friday, June 24.
The Sprint Cars of New England will run on Sunday, June 19 at Devil’s Bowl Speedway.
UNOFFICIAL RESULTS – O’Reilly Auto Parts Twilight Racing Challenge
Legion Speedway, Wentworth, N.H.
Friday, June 17, 2016
Sprint Cars of New England (25 laps – 5/6 makeup)
1. (2) Will Hull, Plainfield, Vt.
2. (3) Kevin Chaffee, Bradford, Vt.
3. (6) Luke Greenwood, Hudson, N.H.
4. (8) Dan Douville, Bridgewater, N.H.
5. (1) Lacey Hanson, Orwell, Vt.
6. (11) Ryan Avery, Campton, N.H.
7. (7) Tyler Austin, West Fairlee, Vt..
8. (5) Dennis McLeod, Concord, N.H.
9. (12) Matt Hoyt, Campton, N.H.
10. (10) Mike Chaffee, Corinth, Vt.
11. (9) Richie Simmons, Bradford, Vt.
12. (15) Chris Clark, Vershire, Vt.
13. (4) Chris Donnelly, Piermont, N.H.
14. (13) Christine Boesch, Concord, N.H.
15. (14) Marty Hutchins, Poultney, Vt.
Did Not Start: Jake Williams, Center Tuftonborough, N.H.
Sprint Cars of New England (25 laps – regular event)
1. (3) Tyler Austin, West Fairlee, Vt.
2. (6) Matt Hoyt, Campton, N.H.
3. (12) Kevin Chaffee, Bradford, Vt.
4. (11) Will Hull, Plainfield, N.H.
5. (13) Chris Donnelly, Piermont, N.H.
6. (8) Richie Simmons, Bradford, Vt.
7. (9) Lacey Hanson, Orwell, Vt.
8. (19) Jake Williams, Center Tuftonborough, N.H.
9. (7) Dan Douville, Bridgewater, N.H.
10. (2) Christine Boesch, Concord, N.H.
11. (4) Chad Turck, Pittsfield, N.H.
12. (14) Ryan Avery, Campton, N.H.
13. (16) Dennis McLeod, Concord, N.H.
14. (18) Patrick Smith, East Andover, N.H.
15. (17) Lauren Boisvert, Danbury, Vt.
16. (15) Marty Hutchins, Poultney, Vt.
17. (10) Luke Greenwood, Hudson, N.H.
18. (1) Chris Clark, Vershire, Vt.
19. (5) Mike Chaffee, Corinth, Vt.
Peanut’s Auto Modifieds (20 laps)
1. Derek O’Hearn, Bristol, N.H.
2. Ryan Avery, Campton, N.H.
3. Jason Sanville, Grafton, N.H.
4. Allan Hammond, Orange, N.H.
5. Terry Williams, Wells River
Petro Mart of Enfield Super Streets (20 laps)
1. J.P. Vaillancourt, Plymouth, N.H.
2. Tim Martin, White River Junction, Vt.
3. Dougie Boucher, Grafton, N.H.
4. Matt Pike, Warren, N.H.
5. Cassie Ottati, Rumney, N.H.
Enfield Garage Outlaw Mini Stocks (20 laps)
1. Aaron Bunker, Newport, N.H.
2. Sean Lantas, Newport, N.H.
3. Chris Sweet, Rumney, N.H.
4. Mike Lique, Lebanon, N.H.
5. Jack Cook, Moultonborough, N.H.
1 – Tyler Austin and his crew celebrate their first career Sprint Cars of New England win on Friday night at Legion Speedway. (T.J. Ingerson/VMM photo)
2 – Will Hull picked up his second Sprint Cars of New England win in the first feature event on the night at Legion Speedway. (T.J. Ingerson/VMM photo)