–by T.J. Ingerson (@TJIngerson)
BRADFORD – A special passenger may have given Will Hull a little extra boost on Saturday night at Bear Ridge Speedway.
Carrying the colors of #DrewStrong for Drew Bernier, a seven-year-old Barre boy who passed away on March 30 due to complications from a bone marrow transport for treatment of Myelodysplastic Syndrome, Hull led 27 of the final 28 laps in the 30-lap Sprint Cars of New England feature to claim the win.
With Drew’s parents, Josh and Marie, in attendance, Hull parked his No. 61 Sprint Car in Bear Ridge’s winner’s circle.
“It’s great to have the Bernier family here,” Hull said. “This car was badass.”
Hull jumped into the lead on lap three and stayed on the outside on the ultra-sick quarter-mile clay oval. The only mishap for the East Montpelier, Vt. driver came with five laps remaining when lapped traffic slowed him enough to allow Luke Greenwood to take control of the top spot on lap 26.
Hull, however, fought back and reclaimed the lead one lap later and scored the win.
“Lapped traffic got in the way a little bit,” Hull said. “We had to split them and it slowed us down a bit. But other than that, I’m pretty excited.”
The win for Hull comes one night after he was involved in an incident at Legion Speedway that ended his night.
Greenwood, of Hudson, N.H., bounced back from a Friday night mishap at Legion to finish second while Legion winner Chris Donnelly of Piermont, N.H. worked his way from a 12th place starting spot to finish third. Steve Hutchinson of Goffstown, N.H. and Richie Simmons of Bradford, Vt. finished fourth and fifth, respectively.
Tyler Austin, Jake Williams, Dennis McLeod, Chad Turck, and Kevin Chaffee completed the top-ten finishers, unofficially.
The Sprint Cars of New England will conclude their Memorial Day Weekend trifecta on Sunday evening on the Dirt Track at Devil’s Bowl Speedway. Post time is 6:00pm.
UNOFFICIAL RESULTS – R&M Automotive 30
Sprint Cars of New England – Bear Ridge Speedway, Bradford, Vt.
Saturday, May 28, 2016
1. (3) Will Hull, East Montpelier, Vt.
2. (4) Luke Greenwood, Hudson, N.H.
3. (12) Chris Donnelly, Piermont, N.H.
4. (6) Steve Hutchinson, Goffstown, N.H.
5. (14) Richie Simmons, Bradford, Vt.
6. (7) Tyler Austin, West Fairlee, Vt.
7. (10) Jake Williams, Center Tuftonboro, N.H.
8. (5) Dennis McLeod, Concord, N.H.
9. (17) Chad Turck, Pittsfield, N.H.
10. (11) Kevin Chaffee, Bradford, Vt.
11. (15) Mikey Chaffee, Corinth, Vt.
12. (2) Christine Boesch, Concord, N.H.
13. (16) Chris Clark, Vershire, Vt.
14. (8) Lacey Hanson, Orwell, Vt.
15. (13) Matt Hoyt, Campton, N.H.
16. (1) Lauren Boisvert, Danbury, N.H.
17. (18) Adam Lyman, Martinsburg, W. Va.
18. (9) Dan Douville, Bridgewater, N.H.
1 – Will Hull celebrates his Sprint Cars of New England win on Saturday night at Bear Ridge Speedway. (T.J. Ingerson/VMM photo)
2 – Will Hull in Bear Ridge Speedway victory lane with the Bernier family. (T.J. Ingerson/VMM photo)