–by T.J. Ingerson (@TJIngerson)
LOUDON, N.H. — The Bond Auto Parts ACT Invitational will take place at New Hampshire Motor Speedway on Saturday, September 24 for the eighth time officials announced on Wednesday.
The 50-lap, non-point counting event had been left off the provisional 2016 American-Canadian Tour schedules released shortly before Christmas, leaving many wondering if the event would return under new track General Manager David McGrath.
“The American-Canadian Tour brings passion, high-quality racing and a loyal short track fan base to our facility every September,” McGrath said in the American-Canadian Tour press release. “It goes without saying that we could not be more proud to host some of the best drivers in the Northeast and Canada for the Tour’s biggest all-star event as they put on a great show for the fans with the help of our partner Bond Auto Parts for the ACT Invitational.”
McGrath took over General Manager duties from Jerry Gappens in early October. Gappens was the General Manager of New Hampshire Motor Speedway when the Late Model event was first added to the September NASCAR weekend in 2009.
The event has seen its share of thrilling racing and finishes. Rowley, Mass., driver Eddie MacDonald has made the event his own, winning four of the seven races held so far. Joey Polewarczyk Jr., Ray Parent, and Wayne Helliwell Jr. have each scored victories in the Invitation-only event.
“It’s definitely a race that I love going to,” Helliwell said. “It brings a different type of racing that we don’t get to do at any other track. Running three-, four-, and sometimes five-wide, as much as it’s nerve-wracking, is also really enjoyable.”
The event is part of a Tripleheader schedule with the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series and NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour.
(Steve Poulin photo)